Targu Jiu, Romania:Living Hope Center
The Living Hope Center, in Targu Jiu, Romania, was formed in 1998 by Adrian and Lavinia Dreana of Romania, for the purpose of meeting the holistic needs of the poor people in the South of Romania. This former Landowners Home was purchased and restored in 2004 and is the center for many community initiatives such as:
- After school tutoring–changing Romania one child at a time
- English Club–giving confidence to the youth and enabling them to get better jobs
- Gymnastics Club–for the younger kids
- Medical Clinic–ultrasound and mammogram as Breast Cancer is the #1 killer of women
- Maternity Clothes Project–providing employment for women
- Family Conference Center–restoration of the basement which will enhance teaching programs and initiatives for families
“Pretty Mama” Maternity Clothes Project
This project began in 2002 as a means of providing employment for women in Targu Jiu, Romania as well as to try to create a means for making some income for the Living Hope Center.
It began with three used Si
nger sewing machines and fabric remnants sent to Targu Jiu in a shipping container. It has become a successful business with seven employees and is paying its own way.